EDUCATION & ADVOCACY RESOURCES
Here are a list of resources to help make your case for theatre education.
Documents and Tools
- The Kennedy Center Alliance for Arts Education Network's comprehensive toolkit on advocating for arts education - if you read one resource about advocacy, it's this one.
- The 21st Century Skills Arts Map - The Arts Map was released last July at a Capitol Hill hearing. AATE, along with national arts education partners, the Educational Theatre Association, MENC: The National Association of Music Educators, the National Art Education Association, the National Dance Education Organization and the National Dance Association co-wrote the Arts Skills Map with the Partnership for 21st Century Skills.
- National Arts Policy Database - This comprehensive searchable database provides listings of news articles, research abstracts, project profiles and sample documents relating to policy issues such as Arts Education. The database is searchable by resource type, issue and date.
Ways to Take Action
- Contact your elected official about Arts Education using CapWiz
- Alert the local media about issues relating to Arts Education
- Find your State Education Contacts - Look up your state department of education, state contacts and organizations, ED press releases for your state, and other state information using the map or pull-down below.
- Find your State Superintendent and School Board - the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) provides a searchable resource to find your state's Superintendent of Schools and links to the state school boards.
- Find your State and Local School Board - The National School Board Association provides a searchable tool to locate your state's school board. From there, you can locate your local district school board members with contact information.
National Organizations with Lots More Resources
- Americans for the Arts (AFTA) - AFTA provides a plethora of resources, tools, events and updates about arts advocacy at the national, state and local level. Through national visibility campaigns and local outreach, AFTA strives to motivate and mobilize opinion leaders and decision-makers who can ensure the arts thrive in America. As host of the national Arts Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill, AFTA annually convenes arts advocates from across the country to advance federal support of the arts, humanities, and arts education. AFTA's Arts Action Fund seeks to take our grassroots advocacy work to a broader audience by engaging the public to become part of the movement to ensure healthy arts funding and arts education in America.
- Performing Arts Alliance (PAA) - PAA provides resources, news and talking points about particular pieces of legislation through the lens of performing arts rather than arts in general. Through legislative and grassroots action, the Performing Arts Alliance advocates for national policies that recognize, enhance, and foster the contributions the performing arts make to America.
- The Kennedy Center Alliance for Arts Education Network (KCAAEN) - KCAAEN provides tools, resources and templates for arts education advocacy. KCAAEN is a coalition of statewide non-profit Alliances for Arts Education working in partnership with the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts to support policies, practices, programs, and partnerships that ensure the arts are an essential part of American K-12 education.